Saturday, April 10, 2010

El Tour De Phoenix 2010 Bike Event Timed Ride

I started riding about a year ago and set the goal to ride in this event at that time. It is a 72 mile route. I rode the route two times as training rides in recent weeks and had a good idea of what to expect. I did make a novice mistake in the actual race that I avoided in the Tour de Tucson which was a much longer 109 mile event. I did not get the proper hydration today and "bonked", lost my energy for the last 15 or so miles. That is when you have to revert to sheer will power to keep your legs moving, especially when you are going uphill. I realistically knew what I could do it in as a rookie and this ride was sub par as to what I think my abilities are. I was slower than my potential and still hit my goal almost square on at 3 hours 24 minutes. Average speed 21.1 mph. The winner finished in 2 hours 51 minutes. I rode well for the first 65 miles because I saw how many people passed me in the last 7 miles when I couldn't peddle after my legs cramped up along with my bonk.

Betty and Becky were at the finish line to cheer when I went by so that was nice.

The ride organizer recognized a local cycling enthusiast, Sterling Baer, who is president of the Brumbys, our local riding group with some 600 on the email list. He also heads up rides to bring attention to cyclists that are injured or killed.

Well I should rest tonight since I have had goofy dreams the past two nights thinking about the race. Kind of a pre-race jitter even though nothing is really at stake. I still have a competitive streak even though it is really just with myself and cycling has been a good thing to use it to stay in shape. I think I'm in the best shape of my life so far. Of course I'm not a health expert but sometimes we can be our own judge as to how we feel. It feels good to ride 72 miles in a hard fashion and not have any aches or pains when you are done. Am I lucky or what? I do feel blessed to be experiencing it. They say you will get really sick 6 times in your life and only get well 5 of them. The longer you can prolong getting them the better. I think I've had two of them so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment